Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Apples and Carrots and Sugar, Oh My


With the promise of the first storm and in honor of the generosity of my neighbor's annual pilgrimage to Apple Hill, I made an apple cake complete with pecan praline glaze and generous chunks of gala and golden delicious. While I thought the cake would be just a token of Fall, those I shared it (a small six inch round for the neighbors and a four inch square for a co-worker) with said that it replaced a meal--neighbor's dinner and friend's lunch. "I was only going to eat half and save the other for tonight", Jules said. "But, I couldn't help it. I wanted to put my face in it and breathe in the cinnamon and apples." Neighbor polished theirs off with a sauvignon.


Imagine the look on their faces when I showed up at their front door with a carrot cake the same size heaped with cream cheese icing for a birthday surprise. The next day email to work indicated that they were both completely sugared up and swore they would eat a complete meal the next day. Jules heard about the carrot cake and swore that she dreamed I had made one. Another co-worker is returning from Afghanistan, and Jules suggested that I make the stacked double 9x13 carrot cake that I made for his farewell. It took three packages of cream cheese and three cubes of butter. I think his arteries are probably unclogged by now, so it should be safe.

No comments: