Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wood I?

The mountain of wood came today-- two and a half cords. If I was a tree hugger, I would be upset, but I know our new stash came from old trees either long past their productive prime or those that were toppled in a storm one or two years ago. I feel sorry for those who don't understand or can take advantage of a warm toasty fire during the cold months.



Our stove is so efficient that, for the most part, our evening fire heats the whole house and warms the living room up to the point that clothes are an option. Right now, I will count the days to the first fire. Once tempered and warmed up, the fire box really needs little priming unless we miss a night.



Last year, we visited family who had a conventional fire place that spewed smoke and didn't do much but redden our eyes and caused us concern because there was no fire screen. This year we will spend the evenings enveloped in the warmth of home.

No comments: